Tips for Safe and Joyful Walking!
Updated: Nov 8
I hope you had a chance to read my previous email inviting you to join our group walk challenge. In case you missed it, please see previous post on this page. Additionally, I've shared this announcement on both Instagram and Facebook. A heartfelt thank you to those who have already shown their support and commitment to this challenge, expressing their intent to join this wonderful journey toward a healthier lifestyle.
Just a clarification that our walk challenge is primarily an online group endeavor. Each participant pledges to walk every day for a minimum of 20 minutes over the course of 30 days (or until it seamlessly integrates into our daily routines). We come together in a virtual space to inspire one another by capturing images of our walks or sending emails to [email] or tagging [Instagram/Facebook handle]. This collective effort not only signifies your dedication but also serves as motivation for others to join in and sustain their daily walking regimen.
To further enhance the social aspect of our walking experience, we have plans to organize in-person group events where we can meet, walk together, and enjoy the camaraderie of our community.
As we begin our walking journey together, here are a few essential tips to keep in mind:
· If you have specific health concerns, consider consulting your doctor before starting a walking program.
· Begin at a pace that suits your body and gradually build up to allow your body to adapt to this new exercise.
· Don't forget to incorporate warm-up and cool-down routines into your walks (join our Instagram and facebook for this)
· Invest in a comfortable pair of walking shoes to ensure a pleasant and safe walking experience.
· Stay well-hydrated throughout your walks.
· Carry identification with you, just in case.
· Ensure your phone is charged and with you for safety.
· Visit the restroom before heading out for your walk.
· Check the weather forecast and dress accordingly, layering as needed.
· Prioritize your safety by choosing routes and areas where you feel confident and secure, preferably during daylight hours.
· While listening to music can be enjoyable, always be aware of your surroundings and remain vigilant.
· Plan for your walking schedule throughout the day (e.g., 9:30 AM, noon, or 3:00 PM) to provide flexibility. This way, if you miss one time slot, you'll have a backup plan, and even a contingency plan if needed.
· Walk with friends and family and encourage them to join us!
· Keep track of your progress and journal the physical and emotional effects of your walks - - better sleep, more focused, ….
· Lastly, remind yourself that it is not about the destination. So, enjoy the journey. Practice mindfulness, be present, and savor the beauty of the outdoors as you clear your mind.
Thank you for your enthusiasm and commitment to this walk challenge. Together, we'll achieve our fitness goals and enjoy the benefits of a healthier lifestyle.
with love & gratitude